You can do a PhD in ecology and evolution at hundreds of Universities: you just find a supervisor and an interesting research project, apply for a scholarship…… And thus you learn how to be a researcher. So simple! So what is special about the Melbourne Ecology & Evolution PhD Program and why should you apply to join us? We have some of the top national and international specialists in this branch of science to supervise you – but everyone will tell you that (though with us it is true!).
The difference is that we look after you and help you to kick-start your career. As part of your studies you will:
- You will interact on a regular basis with other PhD students across several departments, working on just about every branch of ecology and evolution that you could imagine. You will not be alone!
- You will receive specialised training in quantitative skills, a vital part of the modern ecologist’s and evolutionary biologist’s toolbox. This is one of our hallmarks that will set you apart from PhD graduates from elsewhere
- You will be able to select from a number of special short courses providing you with additional skills to enhance your research capabilities and your employability
- You will have a mentor, another young scientist, assigned to you to……
- If you wish, you can choose to participate in a vocational program, where you spend time within industry
- As a group of PhD students, you will meet with leading visiting scientists and talk with them about their work and careers
- You will participate in an annual Ecology & Evolution research symposium, run by students, for students
- Above all, you will have fun and we will do our best to inspire you!